AND MOLLY TOO!!

AND MOLLY TOO!!

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Awesome Morning

I was up with the larks this morning and decided to take Zack for a long walk because it was so nice and cool. We went a different route as the city has sprayed all the parks with pesticide so we went "cross country". We crossed the fields near our house and whatever new trail I found I took. Zack had a blast tearing round. He played Kangaroo for a while bouncing up and down in the long grass so he could see where he was going. Then he would stop and stand on his hind legs like a grizzly bear and scan the horizon. It was hilarious. Finally he realized it was much easier to stick to the trail and trot along with me.

I kept a vigilent eye out for coyotes and luckily did not see one today. On we went across and through Paradise Canyon neighbourhood. As I was meandering my way through the subdivision I noticed another "dirt path" at the edge of this farmers field. I decided to take it. It was aways aways from the road and it looked like it was headed to Popson area. I let Zack off leash again and he was in his glory. He found a dugout so of course he had to get his feet wet and muddy and then plant them on my legs to show me what he found. He was so happy ahahah.

A little ways down the path I just happened to look up and about 50 feet to my left was this huge, stag deer with a giant set of antlers just staring at me. We actually made eye contact that's how close we were. I don't know where he came from. I was in awe. He was gorgeous. I had never been so close to a wild male deer in my life. I then realized it may not be the safest thing so I quickly grabbed Zack and put him back on his leash (Zack couldn't see the deer because the crop was so high - thank god). I don't know why but I still just stood there looking instead of leaving. I don't know how anyone could shoot such a beautiful animal. I see deer all the time in Lethbridge and never get tired of them but a male one that big is a rarity. I will cherish the moment forever. Then it was as though the deer and myself acknowledged each other and then just went our separate ways. Amazing. I get chills just thinking about it. I am such an animal lover so these moments in life make life worth living.

Zack was oblivious to the whole goings on with the deer which was for the best as he probably would have started barking and all hell would have broken loose.

It makes me realize that without Zack in my life I would never go the places I go or see the things I see. Dogs truly are a blessing.

I am going to make a cup of tea now and have breakfast on the patio with Zacky boy. What an awesome morning.

No comments: